Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Definitions, not of the bodily kind

: 55.5kg

Judgments : Like everything else, gyms have become so commercialized

Prior to joining this gym, the last time I stepped into one was in the previous century. Only "Group X" classes they had then was hi-lo and step. Hi-lo today is probably the equivalent of Body Attack and Step is still step. Enter the new century with bikini bods like Jessica Alba and Paris Hilton getting starring roles in men's wet dreams, you have no choice but to work that much harder!

There are so many variations and choices of group classes nowadays, Combat, Pump, Step, Body Step, RPM, there is even belly dancing and line dancing for the aunties. I'm just waiting for strip/pole dancing to hit the gyms, likelihood of that in Malaysia being slimmer than Nicole Richie of course.

When I first joined, I required a total overhaul of the gym lingo to keep up.

Last century terminology; Combat - widely used in military training, Pump - for when I top up gas, "to pump petrol", RPM - measures the relationship between my foot on the gas pedal and the rev gauge on the dashboard.

In the present century, Body Jam is yet another form of group exercise, and there I thought they finally had an adult class with a bit of dirty dancing incorporated. Some Shakira and JLo combo. I was genuinely interested in finding out how the spread would turn out...

My BFF and gym partner had the best definition of all:

Body Jam = a state of being where the body "jams" up (a.k.a stuck, malfunctions, does not/cannot move)

: Body feels fab, energy and hormone levels back to normal



No comments: